Monday, September 22, 2008

On the Road Again, this time to the Gulf Coast
















After a busy "vacation" back in Ontario, I was more than ready to enjoy some time at the beach! We spent last week in Destin, Florida, a place that we had not visited before. My mom flew back with us from Canada and went with us to Florida. Since Sam has just recently started his new job, he didn't have a lot of time off banked, but was able to take a couple of days off and spent a long weekend in Florida. My mom, the kids and I had a week to enjoy the gorgeous weather (despite Hurricane Ike hitting the other side of the gulf), the beautiful white sand beach and some good times together. Oh ya, and sharks! There were several "sand sharks" spotted swimming right with us only a few feet from the shore!! One lady yelled "shark" at me as I saw one approaching Sydney and I in the water, fortunately it changed direction as it came close. Another swam right by my mom who was standing ankle deep in the water! According to beach patrol, they're "only" about 3 feet long and "don't hurt anyone" but it definitely created an excitement on the beach. Interesting though, that a purple flag was out the day after to inform people of "Dangerous Marine Wildlife". Needless to say, I didn't see anyone in the water that day, and sadly, that was our last day in Destin. Despite the creatures, we had a really relaxing vacation.

2 comments:

Jen said...

That's my kind of week - except for the sharks - could do without those.

Jennifer said...

That part of Florida is so pretty isn't it? How fun that your mom got to spend some extra time playing with you guys! And sharks! That would have been cool to see even if they were little. I swear I saw a shark once off the coast of Pensacola but I'm sure the likelihood was slim but I can't deny what I saw! :) Anyways looks like you guys are having a blast together!